Monday, December 29, 2014

Pen name?

I've had a few readers and bloggers ask if Mae Wood is a pen name.

Yes.  Yes, it is.

I have an earlier post on what it means.  (Short story - there was a spring-fed man-made lake with a sandy bottom near Memphis for a very long time called Maywood.  It's now a housing development.)

So, why?  One of my life goals was to write a book.  Why would I hide behind a fake name?

Let me be clear.  I am extremely proud of my work.  It kills me not to be able to tell the world, announce it in my college's alumni magazine, and brag about it on Facebook.

However, I do know that some people turn their noses up at romance novels as "lesser than" literature or art.  (If you went to my college, where your schoolmates' novels are being turned into major motion picture and  being published in multiple languages -- I'm not exaggerating --, you might now necessarily want your steamy romance novel to show up in the alumni magazine).

Plus, I'm not sure how people who interact with me professionally would think about Risking Ruin.  Yes, it's steamy, but it's no Fifty Shades of Grey.   Would you think differently about your lawyer if she wrote romance novels on the side?

No comments:

Post a Comment