Sunday, March 15, 2015

Romance novel tropes - Strangers Across a Crowded Room

I've been thinking lately about common tropes in romance novels.

Strangers drawn to each other across a room always resonates with me.

This has happened to me twice in my life and I didn't fall in love with either of the men.

The first was at a very swanky party at the Ambassor's residence.   Two days later he invited me out for drinks and kissed me midsentence.  I literally forgot what I was saying.

The second time was on a softball field.  I was watching from the sidelines with a beer in hand. He was playing second base.  I was too flummoxed to speak with him even though a mutual friend attempted an introduction at the end of the game at his request.   I saw him about ten years later across the room at a charity event.  We were both with our spouses.  I couldn't quite remember his name, but I remembered him.  And from how our eyes caught, I know he remembered me.

I don't know what this says about me as an author.   I know these things happen.  I've experienced them and I can recall them vividly.

Do you have a "Strangers Across a Crowded Room" story?  What's your favorite romance novel trope?  Any that make you cringe?

No comments:

Post a Comment